Hachiko Turns 2!!!


Who's Hachiko? It's the name of my brother's dog. Yes, a dog. Remember this post? She turns two last Tuesday!! which is 14 years old in human years. You might wonder, what's the huss and fuss about a dog's birthday? well, truth be told, so do I :D. They said last year (my brother and my SIL) that this is ONLY for her first birthday and that's it, no more celebration after that, but guess what? I guess they can't help it :). It's probably another excuse for us to have a fun gathering in a weekday, and a cake of course!!! Hachiko is a really sweet dog, she's really cute, smart, curious, and she likes to pretend to be brave :), no wonder we love him so much.


Can't you tell that I'm in a spring mood lately? The lemon tart, the pink cake, and this yellow-green cake! I am definitely excited for Spring to come! Although we still haven't had the perfect spring weather yet, but we're starting to see more sunshine, the day is noticeably longer, daylight saving time begin next week . I picked the yellow and green theme on purpose too, for spring theme! I also thought it would make the cake looks brighter and more cute :). I think this design would be great for little kids' birthday too with probably a little kid figurine as well.


I was planning on making a simple cake, nothing complicated since again, this is for a dog, it falls on Tuesday, I only have Monday early morning and night after work to make it. At first, fondant seems to be impossible considering the time, but last weekend, a bunch of us girls were trying our hands on making Hachi figurine, while the guys are watching a movie in the living room (what a bunch of slackers :D). So, after all the time spent making the figurine, it was only appropriate to make a fondant cake, a 6" round probably, but then I thought it won't be enough to feed about 15 people. So, change of plan, I made 8" sponge base and the buttercream on Monday morning and trying to get off work as early as I can in the evening and start assembling, fill and frost, fondant, etc until it finished at midnight. It is a big cake, and probably too much for a dog (size and decoration-wise), but why not as well make it better if we can do it with a little extra effort, right?


We had lots of fun enjoying Hachi's cake, and a really yummy meal made by our beloved friends. Special thanks to Nana, Marlene, and Annette, Della, and Irene for helping out with the hachi figurine, alf-looking and bear-looking dog figurines. And no, the sheep and the mummy figurines don't belong in this cake guys, that would be for some other cake in the future :). We also watched movie "Hachiko-a dog story", a very sad story about a faithful dog, that's where my brother's dog's name came from. The DVD came out yesterday, the same exact day on Hachi's birthday! What a nice coincidence! Most of the girls were tearing up watching the movie, the guys were probably just pretending to be strong and make excuses to go to the restroom and go upstairs :D.


Hachiko and the proud parents

Surprise!!!

7 comments:

Brisbane Baker said...

Awww, happy birthday Hachiko!

What a beautiful cake! It looks like it came from the store!

Very talented.

Check me out:
www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

sandy said...

Beautiful cake, I like your blog a lot.

Bertha said...

Brisbane Baker: Thanks! Hachiko would be happy :)

Sandy: Thank you so much! :)

Unknown said...

Out of all your cakes, I think this is one of the best you've made so far.

Unknown said...

I'm still drooling looking at Hachi's cake.. my fave Indo cheesecake of all time..:)

Anonymous said...

Can I have your recipe for the fondant cake. Most of my cakes look good but they were not taste good...:o)...I know the soft one taste good but it can not cover by the fondant....but the hard one (genoise cake) is not taste good. Can you please help. Thanks in advance. I love to read your blog very much.

Le

Bertha said...

Le: I don't have a particular recipe for fondant cake. I usually just make it from any kind of cake, even mousse cakes. This particular one is an Indonesian cake, which has sponge cake and shredded cheese in it (might not suit other people's taste) :)