Spring Cleaning Part I: Tiramisu and Chocolate Mousse Cake


If you read my previous post, you will know that I like to store things in the freezer, leftover sponge cake, tiramisu cream, mousse, glaze, puree, fruits, buttercream, cheesecake, you name it and it's there. It does save time here and there when I need to whip up something quick, especially the sponge cakes, but it also makes the freezer full. Besides, storing stuff in the freezer doesn't mean that it will last forever, it can only last for a limited amount of time before it goes bad (freezer burn, freezer taste/smell, etc.). So, now that it's Spring, it's time for Spring cleaning! or more like freezer Spring cleaning.

You could probably guess that I had some chocolate sponge, some tiramisu cream that has been mold to 6" round, and in an attempt to clean the refrigerator, I decided to remake this cake. It was created out of an accident, but it turned out so good and was a big hit that I knew I had to make it again, so it was automatic and instant that whenever I had tiramisu and choc. sponge leftover, I would think of this cake. It doesn't mean that you should make it only when you have leftovers though, trust me, this cake is good!


But as the title says "Spring Cleaning", I wouldn't have the exact recipe for it, so I will just tell you what the components are. This cake has two layers of thin chocolate sponge cake moistened with coffee solution (add rum to make it better :D), with a layer of tiramisu cream in the bottom layer, and dark chocolate mousse on the second layer. On top of that, I made milk chocolate cream as well over the dark chocolate mousse (it's very hard to see the line of dark chocolate mousse and the milk chocolate cream from the picture), and a heavy dust of cocoa powder finish it all. I didn't make the dark chocolate mousse from scratch either, I have a pouch of Alaska Express chocolate mousse mix given as a sample a few months ago and I've been wanting to give it a try, plus it's quick and easy! I didn't want to make an over-the-top decoration for this cake either, so I simply melt some dark chocolate, spread it on an acetate sheet, and broke it randomly, it looks rustic, but it's okay. I didn't even bother to decorate the mini ones, that's why the sides look kinda ugly, but it doesn't matter when "leftovers" taste this good :).


This is only part I, stay tuned for the next part, hopefully I can get to it as soon as possible :)

13 comments:

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love it when people combine leftover ingredients into something amazing rather than having them go to waste. These look even more amazing than the first time - great job!

d-La said...

How come I didn't get any???

Memória said...

There is absolutely nothing ugly on any of your cakes. They look absolutely perfect and tantalizing. I must make this soon. What lovely photos!!

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Your photos are OUTSTANDING!

Look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Carmen

Dewi said...

Your tiramisu is amazing, how divine.

Bertha said...

Thanks everyone! :)

Frankie said...

I stumbled upon your blog looking for a fruit mousse cake recipe- asian style! I'm asian too and my family doesn't like all that buttercream and stuff I use to decorate with so I was looking for an asian bakery style cake. Love your blog, amazing pictures and the cakes look like they came straight out of a bakery in hong kong except better!!

Anonymous said...

They looks so delicate and chocolaty! Great job!

Kitchen Corner said...

I think I've fallen in love to your blog! All your cakes looks super nice!

The Dreamer said...

I keep finding your blog when looking for desserts but I never find any recipes. Can you please post the recipe for these and for the Chocolate Earl Grey Cake?

Bertha said...

The Dreamer: This cake is a "leftover" cake, hence the name "Spring Cleaning". I dont really have a complete recipe, and I also used chocolate mousse mix for one of the components, so I can't really give an exact recipe. I do try to post recipes, but not for most complicated cakes currently just because it takes too long to type it out and give detail explanation how to.

Anonymous said...

what did you put in the tiramisu cream?

Bertha said...

Anonymous: I use basic ingredients which are mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, sugar, and egg yolks